Just four weeks into the recall campaign, and as Scott Walker continues to mislead voters, United Wisconsin announced that 507,533 people have already signed a petition to recall Scott Walker and is releasing its new signature collection goal of 720,277 – nearly 200,000 more than needed.
“Scott Walker continues to spend millions on misleading TV ads trying to convince voters that his drastic cuts to education and other “reforms” are working,” said Meagan Mahaffey, United Wisconsin’s Executive Director. “But the people of Wisconsin are not buying his lies, and are moving at record pace to stop Walker’s destruction, and recall him from office.”
The movement to recall Walker continues to move quickly. In the first 28 days, Wisconsin voters signed the petition at a rate of over 18,000 per day. In the first 12 days, more than 300,000 signatures were collected from all 72 counties in Wisconsin.
Specific signature totals from selected counties include the following:
- 8,007 signatures or 128% of Walker’s 2010 vote total in Douglas County
- 22,365 signatures or 124% of Walker’s 2010 vote total in Eau Claire County
- 21,558 signatures or 91% of Walker’s 2010 vote total in Rock County
- 7,375 signatures or 84% of Walker’s 2010 vote total in Oneida County
- 6,972 signatures or 81% of Walker’s 2010 vote total in Grant County
The newly released signature collection goal of 720,277 is equal to 33% of the 2010 General Election turnout. Only 540,208 signatures or 25% of the 2010 General Election turnout is required to trigger a recall election. Help us push back against the big corporate money of Scott Walker with a small donation of $15, or whatever you can afford. Wisconsin cannot wait!